Building Community, Together
DOROT is excited to partner with community organizations and schools in Queens’ 6th Congressional District to offer programs for older adults that build social connections across generations and meaningful opportunities for volunteers.
We have a long and successful track record in building collaborative partnerships that are mutually beneficial and complement our partners’ work. Recognizing that partnerships require an investment of time and resources, DOROT provides financial incentives to support Queens organizations that collaborate with us. If you are an organization with deep roots in the Queens community, let’s explore ways to work together!
Please contact us to learn more about partnership benefits, opportunities, and to meet our Queens Outreach Team.
We are grateful to Congresswoman Grace Meng for her work in securing a federal grant to support this dynamic initiative.
VISION FOR PARTNERSHIP
Whether you are a social services agency, community center, service group, school, library, or faith-based organization, you know your community best. By working together, we can adapt DOROT programs to meet the needs of the people you serve. If you are a leader of a volunteer group, we can share engaging new opportunities for community involvement.
Our team and proven program models will extend the virtual reach of your organization into the homes of older adults who may have difficulty getting out or prefer participating from the safety or convenience of their own home.
Learn more about our current partners HERE.
DOROT programs are always geared to building social connections and incorporate daytime, evening, weekend, phone-based, Zoom, and select in-person options at your site. Programs engage individuals aged 60+, as well as adult or teen volunteers, in group programs and in one-on-one matches. Opportunities range from life-long learning and healthy aging workshops to technology coaching and friendly weekly phone calls between older adults and volunteers. Our unique intergenerational workshops engage high school students and older adults in meaningful activities and conversations.
Learn more about specific programs at the bottom of the page.
MORE ABOUT DOROT'S PROGRAMS
We offer free programing in English, Mandarin, Spanish, Ukrainian, and Russian, and will develop select programs based upon community interests.
Group Programs for Older Adults:
- Aging Alone, Together™: Zoom-based workshop series on successful aging and planning for the future, specifically designed for those without the support system traditionally provided by family
- Onsite@Home: Interactive Zoom programs on a variety of subjects from arts and culture to health and wellness
- University Without Walls: Telephone-based classes, support groups, and topical programs
- GENuine Connections™: Zoom-based intergenerational workshops with groups of teens and older adults
One on One Programs for Older Adults with Volunteers:
- Caring Calls: Weekly friendly phone calls between matched volunteers and older adults
- Tech Coaching: Coaching for older adults to learn and practice new technology skills
Intergenerational Group Programming for Older Adults and High School Students:
- DOROT will offer virtual programming as well as in-person volunteer events and intergenerational workshops at local high schools, libraries, community centers, and other community partners’ sites.
This program is supported by the Administration for Community Living (ACL), U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HSS) as part of a financial assistance award totaling $551,210 with 100 percent funding by ACL/HHS. The contents are those of the author(s) and do not necessarily represent the official views of, nor an endorsement, by ACL/HASS, or the U.S. Government.