Thank you for your interest in DOROT’s Summer College Internship Program. We are currently only accepting applications for the Russian Speaking placement at the Shorefront Y through the 11 week Intergenerational Program Engagement Internship. Apply Now
Should we have additional recruitment needs, we will reopen the Summer College Internship Application in mid-March. For any questions, please reach out to email@example.com.
The Summer College Internship is a unique opportunity to explore the field of social work, and other helping professions, while providing support DOROT’s older adult constituents. The internship cohort work collaboratively together and with the DOROT staff, learn from one another and partake in professional development sessions and teambuilding activities throughout the summer.
Summer internships run 10 or 11 weeks and are open to students who will be entering their sophomore, junior or senior years of undergraduate study in the fall. The Summer College Internship can fulfill college credit requirements with approval from an intern’s academic institution.
DOROT’s Summer College Internship Program begins with a two-day orientation and training to prepare students for their roles. During the summer, interns attend weekly meetings to foster camaraderie and cohesiveness. Additionally, interns are active participants at regularly scheduled professional development workshops, department and All Staff meetings.
Interns directly address and support DOROT’s mission of decreasing the social isolation among older adults by bringing the generations together. In addition to department tasks, each intern is matched with at least one older adult client for a weekly friendly phone call, visit or Zoom. All interns complete some amount of data entry work and will support our Impact and Evaluation Team by surveying our constituents to determine DOROT’s scope, reach and impact. Contacting older adults by phone for surveys, check-in calls and for programmatic reasons is routine. Interns should have comfort in speaking with older adults on the phone or be willing to grow in this area.
Former interns attest to the fact that DOROT internships build professional and interpersonal skills while also providing an opportunity to make a difference in older adults’ lives.
Internship Opportunity Types and Parameters
10 Week Program
- Dates: Wed., May 31, 2023 – Thurs., Aug. 10, 2023
- Hours: Mon. – Thurs. – 9am-5pm
- Stipend: $2,800
- In-person, hybrid and remote options available (All in-person opportunities will be at DOROT’s main office in Manhattan, with the exception of the Westchester placement.)
- Department assigned would be shared at interview stage and confirmed upon acceptance into the program
- Potential Internship Placements
11 Week Program
- Dates: Wed., May 31, 2023 – Fri., Aug. 18, 2023
- Hours: Mon. – Thurs. – 9am/9:30am-5pm-5:30pm; Fri. – 9am-4pm
- Stipend: $4,200
- In-person ONLY (For the first half of the summer, all interns will work out of DOROT’s main office in Manhattan. For the second half of the summer, interns will be divided into pairs and either work from DOROT or the Shorefront Y in Brooklyn. Placement is determined by the Manager of this department.)
- Department assignment – Intergenerational Program Engagement
- Intergenerational Program Engagement Internship
Application Process and Important Information
We will begin accepting applications and scheduling interviews towards the end of 2022 and will continue until all positions have been filled. Acceptance into DOROT’s Summer College Internship Program is on a modified rolling basis.
We anticipate that all interns will be present for each working day throughout the internship. DOROT will be closed on Mon., June 19 and Tues., July 4.
Applicants who are accepted into the DOROT’s Summer College Internship program will have:
- Submitted an application and resume
- Attended an interview via Zoom
- Provided references
- Submitted to a background check (cost covered by DOROT)
- Provided a valid, U.S. government-issued photo ID
Questions? Please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org
“This summer, I had the incredible opportunity to be a member of DOROT. This internship has taught me many things such as how to interact with others, be a part of a workplace environment, and to get a glimpse of what life is like after college graduation. It has been a pleasure to be a member of the DOROT team and I look forward to my future endeavors because of working here.” – 2022 Summer College Intern
“My experience was absolutely life changing. I made strong connections with seniors, other interns, staff, older adults…DOROT fosters an incredible environment that helped me become more confident in my work and my ability to make a difference. I feel much more sure of the path I am on and have grown so much.” – 2022 Summer College Intern
“This is the best internship I have ever been a part of…you have made an experience that will impact future professionals for the rest of their lives!” – 2022 Summer College Intern