Gain leadership skills through a rigorous, unique and meaningful internship experience. Learn how to facilitate intergenerational programs and then enjoy them as a participant! DOROT is thrilled to launch its third Jewish Summer Teen Internship Program at the Shorefront Y in Brighton Beach. As a volunteer, you’ll have the extraordinary opportunity to intern with a group of peers to connect with and learn from older adults who are affiliated with the Shorefront Y and Brighton Beach area NORCs.
Interns do not need to be fluent in Russian but should have comprehension of conversational Russian.
We are monitoring COVID safety recommendations and making plans for in-person programming in Summer 2022. The internship will be a hybrid; two to three days a week in-person and one or two days will be virtual. Interns will need to travel to their internship location.
Applications are now open for Summer 2022!
*This program is eligible for the Summer Youth Employment Program. Find out more here.
Overview of Summer 2022:
- Tuesday, July 26-August 18
- Monday-Thursday, from 10:00am-4:30pm
- This program welcomes teens who identify as Jewish, or who have a parent or grandparent who identifies as Jewish
- Note: Summer Interns are expected to volunteer for at least 15 hours with DOROT and/or the Shorefront Y during the academic year following the summer
View the teen's video on what’s involved with visiting elders in their home:
Teen Interns will:
- Explore social justice and Jewish communal connections within the context of volunteering
- Facilitate online intergenerational classes on short-fiction, arts & crafts and poetry
- Engage in interactive game activities with older adults such as cards and backgammon.
- Facilitate a weekly conversational English class for Russian-speaking older adults
- Teach seniors how to use Google platforms
- Join a knitting circle
- Lead a weekly, intergenerational teleconference discussion group on current issues
- Participate in a weekly virtual intergenerational class on "Jewish Perspectives on Important Issues in the News"
- Have the opportunity to plan, run and implement intergenerational
This exciting program is a partnership between DOROT and Shorefront YM-YWHA of Brighton - Manhattan Beach, Inc.
DOROT's Jewish Summer Teen Internship Program is jointly funded by UJA-Federation of New York and the Jim Joseph Foundation. The Jewish Education Project serves as lead operator of the Initiative.